Saturday, June 20, 2009

PC versus Consoles Part 1

I switched my gaming platform from PC to game consoles a few years ago and I'm happy I did. I still do play some older games occasionally. But I just don't have the time or the money to constantly upgrade my machines so they can run the latest games smoothly. I also like to be able to play while I'm lying on my bed and relaxing. With PC you have to be hunched over right in front of the computer. Well all right I guess you can hook up your computer to a TV and get a wireless keyboard and mouse and somehow try to manage with that. But that's too much work.

Also installing games became such a chore to do. And it's not uncommon for something to go wrong and then you may or may not have to manually uninstall the parts already installed and then try again. It seems like a lot of trouble for trying to do something fun. Things were better when computers weren't very developed so most of the hardware were compatible and most games ran smoothly on any configuration unlike today. And installing was just copying the game from a floppy disk or just typing the start command and play the game from the floppy.

Installing (and the pricing and the game catalog obviously) is the reason why I haven't bought a PS3 yet, and I'm not likely to do so in the near future either. The mandatory installs are really the most fucking dumbest thing the winner of the last console generation could do. And still they did it. I guess it's because PS3 is a fucking blurayplayer-dishwasher-refrigerator-vacuumcleaner before it's a GAME CONSOLE. So good luck with that. And while on the subject, why the fuck did they drop the support of PS2 games? I have a ps2 game library of about 120 titles so no fucking way I'm going to have a PS2, Xbox 360 and a PS3 next to my TV.

And another thing that really fucked the game industry up is internet. No not the old piracy-blaa-blaa-blaa but because it enabled developers to publish unfinished products because "hey you can always update them later and maybe make them even work!". Sadly this seems to be a trend with modern consoles too. But in my books it's really unacceptable to publish half-finished products and maybe fix them later. I mean let's take Far Cry 2 for Xbox 360. The version on the DVD has some serious save game issues. So the saved games can become corrupt and you won't be able to continue. That's amazing. So now I can play the game fine because they published a patch that fixes the problem. But what the fuck am I supposed to do in 10 years when I wanna do a little bit of retro gaming and the current Xbox live system is dead and buried? So I just can't play the game then can I? What a piece of shit. Thanks Ubisoft. I'm pretty sure the name means you-be-soft in French. And boy are they soft...

2 comments:

  1. Nice entry, mate! Even tho' I pretty much agree with you on how different platforms function, I think one key point is how different platforms correspond to different type of gamer/gaming session. I have no clear preference over consoles (and which console there of) or PC, but I've noticed clear trend on how I play with different platforms. Wii is used for quickies, max 30 min gaming sessions. PC is for marathon sessions, OverPricedStation3 and RedRingBox for exclusive titles. (no need to pun Wii, since it's name is a pun in itself)

    Oh, and I linked your entry on my new blog. Hope it is ok? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a strong point there. Well each to their own!

    Thanks for linking. I'm gonna return the favour:)

    ReplyDelete