Thursday, June 18, 2009

Devil May Cry 4


I just finished playing through Devil May Cry 4. The game had been lying around for a couple of months and I finally had the time to play it. The game took about 10 hours to complete. It was an ok experience but nothing special.

One of the biggest complaints I have with this game is the fact that you have to play most of the levels twice. First you beat them with Nero and then you beat them with Dante in the reverse order. This is just boring because you've seen it all before and there's nothing new. It's just lazy level design or maybe the developer ran out of time. But anyways it's just not cool. It didn't bother me that much because I played the game through only once but imagine playing the game like 6 times with different difficulty settings and you would have seen everything 12 times! Luckily there's no way I'm gonna play this again in a few years.

The game and animation looks good except when your character is running on stairs. It doesn't look anything like climbing stairs. It's more like the guy's hovering above the stairs and running up and down a slope. Wasn't I supposed to notice that?! I mean come on! Also there are way too few different enemies. So the fighting becomes just a chore to do. You know how every one of the enemies act and what tactics you should use with them so there really isn't any challenge.

There are also these "special missions" peppered aroung the levels. At first I tried to finish them but they are just not fun. Every one of them has some strict time-limit and they are just stupid. Eventually I stopped even trying because they sucked. Also what's great about them is that if you died while on a "special mission" you died in the actual game too. So you had to go back to your previous checkpoint. What the fuck is with that? There were some other checkpoint issues with the game too. And some seriously annoying respawning enemies but enough about that.

The plot and the cut scenes are just ridiculous and the game knows it too. It's like nothing's even meant to be taken seriously. There are some cool maneuvers in the cut scenes but other than that they aren't very interesting. One thing that I did miss was Japanese audio track. I bet it would have been so much better than the English version. I just can't help but to wonder why in the fuck didn't they include the original audio.

This is just another basic ok game. Nothing special and really no reason to play again but I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Actually no... it's more like a 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment