Thursday, May 28, 2009

Some observations of GTA IV


Last mission of GTA IV really ruined the whole game for me. Basically the game differs from the previous entries of the series by being more "realistic" and toned-down. And most of the missions are pretty believable (in the context obviously) where you drive to some place and kill somebody etc. But then the last mission just says "fuck it" to all of this. You follow some car for 10 minutes, you kill a hundred guys at some warehouse, you follow a boat with a dirtbike, you jump to the helicopter from a ramp, you duck rockets from the boat, you crash land the helicopter, and finally you get to kill the boss guy. I mean just what the fuck is this? Did they seriously say at some mission design meeting "Okay this is the last mission so let's just fuck the whole mood of the game and really make it as shitty action movie-like as possible". I would have loved to hear that discussion.

I really enjoyed playing GTA IV until that final mission. Obviously the game could have been more versatile and customizable but that really didn't bother me since I wasn't really into San Andreas at all. Allthough San Andreas was ruined by the hardware limitations of the last console generation. It could have been great but now it was just blah. But anyways I never forget to mention the shittiness of the ending when someone asks me about GTA IV. Nor do I recommend the game to anyone. It probably wouldn't be so annoying if the mission would have been put somewhere in the middle of the game. But being the last one it's the mission that leaves the final impression of the game and totally stains it.

I also don't like this DLC or downloadable content thing. I'm not ever going to buy a single add-on from Xbox marketplace (well I'm not putting my foot down on this one..). Basically it's a nice concept but the problem is that I like to actually physically own the product. And besides what happens if someone hacks into Microsoft's database and deletes some accounts or fucks it up somehow. Or someone just makes a human error that alters the information somehow. Everything you've bought just vanishes and you lost your money. So no thanks! I'll just have to wait until they release both of the DLC's for GTA IV on a disc sometime next fall. If I somehow manage to remember that I actually had some fun playing GTA IV..

No comments:

Post a Comment