Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bionic Commando


I just finished playing through the new game from Capcom called Bionic Commando. I'm sure you've heard about it so I'm not gonna go into any details. I purchased it right at the day of its release and got a cool Bionic Commando action figure with it yay! I usually don't buy games when they come out but rather wait a few months so I can get them cheaper. I am a student still so the money isn't really flowing. I did make an exception with this one since I got it at a great trade offer.

First impressions of the game were very positive. The menus look awesome and set the tone right from the start. About eighty percent of the game is really fun but the last twenty started to feel a little forced. The greatest and hardest bossfight comes right at this interval. The real bossfights of the game are boring and uninteresting and really not that hard. But this giant robot worm is really a stand-out point in the game. And propably the thing I'll remember first when I'll reminiscent this game somewhere in the distant future. The game also features two pretty useless parts. These are of course the plane-hopping and vulture-hopping parts of the game. They feel kind of out of place and are really uncalled for. So maybe the team should have spent the time implementing these to seriously improve the level design and the save-system.

Also I'm not really sure Mike Patton was the right choice for the voice of Spencer. I mean I really like Patton and he did a great job on The Darkness, but he comes off a bit weird in this game. It's like they didn't really tell him what they wanted from the character. Now Spencer sounds like a weird-funny-angst-filled teen or something where as everyone else (except the ridicilous german accent of Groeder) sound pretty convincing. So the contrast is quite striking.

All in all the game is pretty good but it's in no way awesome. It could have been much better but then again I really wasn't expecting a lot so it was a fun experience. On a scale of 1-to-fuckinghypercool this is a solid 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment